Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Mother of MH370 passenger holding on to hope son still alive

A mother of a Chinese passenger on board the ill-fated Malaysia Airlines MH370 has not given up hope of seeing her son back home, safe and sound.

In a tearful interview with China Central Television (CCTV), Liu Guiqui - the mother of MH370 passenger Li Le - said her heart broke when she learnt of the news of the missing plane on March 8.

"Our driver went to the airport to pick up my son. But he (the driver) told us, he never arrived. I was confused and wondered what happened. I asked MAS and they said the plane never took off.

"I switched on the television and was watching CCTV, where I saw reports the plane was missing. When I realised it wasn't a mistake, I was heartbroken," she said, adding that she kept telling herself that Li Le would be alright.

Liu was one of several family members of Chinese passengers on the missng jetliner who had burst into the media briefing room at the Sama-Sama Hotel in Sepang last week, demanding answers from authorities.

"I needed to ask the Malaysian politicians what happened to my son. How is it that we have no information?

"At that stage, the plane had been missing for 12 days. I can't understand why there hasn't been any news. I'm going to go crazy," she told CCTV.

She said she had decided to take up the offer by MAS to be in Kuala Lumpur as she had wanted to be the first to greet her son.

"I wanted to be the first to greet my son when he returned," she said, breaking down.

Li Le, she said, has left behind a daughter who is still unaware of the situation.

"We can't tell her what has happened. We have a rule that no one in the family is allowed to cry or mention this issue in front of her," she revealed.

"She wouldn't be able to cope with this news about her father. She really loves her father. She cries for him every night."

The distraught mother also denied that she was manhandled by the Malaysian police after she appeared with other relatives at the media room last week.

"I was surrounded by reporters. There was a young policeman whom I initially thought was about to grab me. At first, I didn't understand what was going on.

"But then someone told me not to panic. They reassured me they were there to protect me.

"I really just want my son to come home and to be safe. My son is such a kind-hearted, good person. My heart is broken," she said.

Flight MH370 disappeared on March 8 with 239 people on board, including 153 Chinese nationals.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak said the plane was deliberately diverted off its scheduled course to Beijing and is now said to have ended its journey in the southern part of the Indian Ocean, with no possible survivors. – March 25, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment